In this series, strategic pricing experts answer your pricing questions. Do you have a pricing question? Send it to AskTheExpert@leveragepoint.com.
Founder, Strategic Pricing Group and Advisor, LeveragePoint
Expertise: Pricing Strategy, Value-Based Pricing
- Price vs. Value Management: Know the Difference (October 2012)
- Having a conversation on differential value with customers (May 2012)
- Companies who successfully transition to a value-based pricing approach (October 2011)
- Metrics that guide pricing change initiatives (August 2011)
- Building the case to move from cost-plus pricing to value-based pricing (July 2011)
- Handling pricing with customers in the wake of rising commodity costs (June 2011)
Dr. Nagle founded the Strategic Pricing Group in 1987, the year he published the first edition of The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing. He provides the intellectual leadership for the firm's consulting projects and is a highly sought-after speaker and author, both in the U.S. and abroad. A long term sponsor of the Professional Pricing Society, Dr. Nagle is a frequent keynote speaker at their annual conferences. Prior to founding SPG, Dr. Nagle was a professor of marketing and strategy at the University of Chicago and Boston University. He is a graduate of Penn State University and received his PhD from UCLA.
Founder and Principal, Software Pricing Partners
Expertise: Negotiating On Value
- How to tackle negotiation on price (May 2012)
- Negotiation tips and ideas that can save you time, money, and aggravation (May 2012)
Jim Geisman is founder and principal of Software Pricing Partners, Inc. where he provides senior management counsel and marketing and sales consulting services. He has led consulting engagements for a broad range of clients addressing fundamental issues affecting business success. Before founding Software Pricing Partners, he held marketing management positions at Tektronix and served as the first director of marketing at Apollo Computer.
Mr. Geisman received his BS and MS in Electrical Engineering from Tufts University where he was elected to Eta Kappa Nu, the EE honor society. He holds an MBA from Harvard Business School. A former consulting editor of Software Success Newsletter, he is widely published and considered an expert in software pricing strategy and sales negotations. He is a sought after speaker for computer trade and industry association meetings.
Founder and President, World Class Pricing
Expertise: Pricing Strategy, Competitive Pricing, Change Management
- How to assess customer value, how to engage, and how to integrate sales into the process (March 2012)
- Time and resource investments necessary to complete the pricing maturation process (February 2012)
George Cressman is Founder and President of World Class Pricing, a consultancy specializing in helping clients build world class pricing managers. George has nearly 30 years of experiences in the Chemicals industry, having worked in positions of pricing, marketing and business management, finance, research, and manufacturing. George has consulted for the past 12 years with the Strategic Pricing Group and the Monitor Group. He has consulted with clients in Europe, South America, and Asia in areas of marketing research. He has held business, sales, and marketing management positions at DuPont, Monsanto, and Union Carbide. Dr. Cressman has been quoted in The Economist and a number of trade journals.
Founder, Value Innoruption Advisors
Expertise: Value-based Pricing Strategy, Pricing Maturation, Business Strategy
- How To Quantify Intangible Value For Your Customers (May 2013)
- Who Should Lead the Value Modeling Programs? (April 2013)
- The Case For Dynamic Value Modeling (February 2013)
- Customer Research Methods That Are Critical for the Assessment of Value (January 2013)
- Game Changing Discoveries and Willingness-to-Pay (December 2012)
- A User's Guide to Value Modeling (November 2012)
- The One Minute Elevator Pitch (November 2012)
- The Power of Language: Why Consistency Is Critical For Value Management (October 2012)
- How You Can Measure Value and What It Means to Your Business (October 2012)
- Bridging the Gap With Value Modeling (September 2012)
- The Power of Value Modeling In the Pricing Council (August 2012)
- Value Modeling Creates Sustainable Value-Based Pricing (August 2012)
- Does Your Company Need a Chief Value Officer? (July 2012)
- Why Organizational Confidence Is a Necessity For Pricing Excellence (July 2012)
- Pricing Myths: Alive and Kicking! (May 2012)
- Managing Complexity in Value and Pricing Management (April 2012)
- Success Factors and KPIs in Pricing Transformation (April 2012)
- Leveraging the 5C Model as a Vehicle for Pricing Transformation (April 2012)
- Internationalization of Value-Based Pricing (March 2012)
- Pricing Skills Today & Tomorrow (January 2012)
- Making the Business Case for Investments in Value-Based Pricing (January 2012)
Previously President and CEO of Ardex Americas, Dr. Stephan Liozu is a Pricing Evangelist and Thought-Leader as well as the Founder of Value Innoruption Advisors. His executive specialty is the design of innovative and differentiated business strategies for business-to-business firms, and the implementation of value-based pricing strategies. Stephan is co-author of Innovation in Pricing (published in 2013 by Routledge), an e-book, A User's Guide to Value Modeling as well as numerous research papers and articles on innovation and value management. Stephan holds a PhD in Management from The Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University. He is a guest lecturer at many universities including the Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester and EM Lyon. Stephan sits on the board of Advisors of PPS and is a regular keynote speaker at their conferences.
Founder, Value Vantage Partners
Expertise: Medical devices, commercial excellence, strategic pricing, selling and negotiating value, value discovery
- How Changes in Healthcare Will Shape Buying Behavior (April 2013)
- Selling Your Value in the "New Normal" of Healthcare Reform (April 2013)
- How To Deal With Aggressive Discounting Competition (September 2012)
Mr. Provines is Founder of Value Vantage Partners, and is an accomplished executive, business advisor, and adjunct professor with broad global experience in Fortune 50 businesses. His experience includes global leadership roles at Johnson & Johnson and Siemens in commercial excellence, strategic pricing, account management, procurement, and business improvement. As an advisor, he helps businesses grow profits through smarter pricing and commercial execution. He is also a top-rated instructor teaching marketing and sales teams strategic pricing, selling and negotiating value, and value discovery. He is the author of two books, Strategic Pricing for Medical Technologies and Selling to Procurement. For more info, go to ChrisProvines.com.